This is the only synagogue in Rijeka. It was built in 1930 according to the project of two engineers, Angy and Febro, and for the use of orthodox Jews in Rijeka. The other one, of more grandiose construction, which had been built at the beginning of the 20th century, was destroyed in bombing during Second World War. Unlike many other synagogues that were demolished in war, and there were almost hundred synagogues on the territory of Croatia, among which is one synagogue from Rijeka, the synagogue in Filipovićeva Street remained preserved in continuity till today. Besides Split synagogue and Dubrovnik synagogue, the Rijeka synagogue is preserved with its original purpose and function.
However, the Rijeka synagogue has been neglected over the years. Therefore, and because of its high monumental and architectural value, it has been decided to renew it completely.
In 2002 the Conservation department in Rijeka prepared a conservation study, in which art historian Gordana Gržić Petrović suggests the methods and course of preservation and renovation of this object on the basis of the analysis of its monumental value.
The exhibition that has been recently opened in the synagogue by the author Vladi Bralić, displays the sketches of present conditions, as well as the suggested designs for the reparation of the interior and the nearest surrounding. The proposal for the renewal of the Rijeka Synagogue was initiated by the Jewish Community Rijeka, while the Department of Culture of the City of Rijeka finances the realisation of this comprehensive project. Since this year, the renewal of the Rijeka synagogue is supported also by Primorsko-goranska County and the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Croatia.