The City Department of Education and Schooling allocates the budget funds of the City of Rijeka in order to meet the citizens' needs in the segment relating to the education and schooling activity, aiming to improve the existing pedagogic and accompanying standard.
The competence of the City of Rijeka includes the activities of preschool education and elementary school education.
The programme activities of the Department include:
- providing financial and material conditions for the work of city education institutions,
- monitoring of the operation of city education institutions,
- preparing proposals to determine education and school programmes above the state pedagogic standard to be financed from the city budget: programme intended for gifted elementary school pupils, extended sojourn programmes and whole-day teaching, early IT education, programmes for pupils and preschool children with particular needs, additional education intended for teachers and professional associates, competitions at city level, meetings, reviews, international and inter-city school co-operation
- awarding scholarships to gifted secondary school and university students and awarding scholarships to students who educate themselves for jobs in short supply, for which the City of Rijeka demonstrates need for employment in city education, social, heath and cultural institutions
- programmes intended for gifted children and young people with disabilities
- co-financing of single programmes carried out by private kindergartens and elementary schools, secondary schools and faculties.
- participation in the organisation of special events from the field of education and schooling
- providing other programmes serving education and schooling
The department takes care of the facilities used by city education institutions
Taking care of the facilities used by city education institutions includes:
- management and maintenance activities in respect of the facilities (emergency interventions, current and investment maintenance),
- preparation of all the necessary plans and lists of expenses for performing works on the facilities,
- control of damage on the facilities and preparing documentation for a refund