The activities and tasks of the Planning, Development and Construction Division are as follows:
- residential area planning,
- planning, development and construction of buildings and belonging facilities and devices of communal infrastructure, including land purchase
- acquisition of equipment, analyses, controls and traffic regulation
- coordination between utility services and companies falling within the scope of activities of the Department
- granting subsidies for burial places
- granting concessions for offering the public water service of cleaning septic and cesspools,
- fixing communal contribution and other charges, bringing in decisions, collection and enforcement procedures falling within the scope of activities of the Department,
- maintenance of buildings and of accompanying facilities and devices of communal infrastructure,
- public procurement within the scope of activity of this Division.
The development and construction of buildings includes in particular: the development, analysis and planning of building needs, the design and geodetic preparation of land for construction, including land purchase , construction, handover and takeover of building ownership, as well as the management of development projects in cooperation with municipal companies, the Subsidised Housing Agency of the City of Rijeka and other administrative bodies of the City.
The term buildings and appertaining structures and utility infrastructures includes: un classified roads in accordance with the law governing roads, other public areas in accordance with the law governing the municipal economy, municipal water structures, energy structures for distribution of thermal energy, cemeteries, landfills and other facilities and equipment of companies and municipal companies financed by funds raised as compensation for development.
The analysis, control and regulation of traffic includes the analysis of existing solutions and the proposal of new transport solutions of local importance, the issue of transport consents.
The subsidy activities for the cemetery lots include user identification, billing and payment control.