The mayor represents the City and is the holder of executive power.
The mayor has two deputy mayors who are elected together and simultaneously with the mayor.
In the event that the mayor is absent for a longer period of time or impeded from carrying out his duties for other reasons, he is substituted by one of his deputies nominated by the mayor.
The mayor shall carry out executive activities falling within the self-government scope of activities of the City of Rijeka, laid down by the Statute of the City of Rijeka, in accordance with the authorities laid down by the Law on Local and Regional Self-government and a number of special laws whereby regulating certain activities (spatial and town planning, utility services, preschool education, primary health protection and social welfare, culture, sport and technical culture, conservation and enhancement of the natural environment, fire fighting and civil protection, traffic in the city territory and other activities).
The mayor shall :
- establish and bring in proposals of general acts that are adopted by the City Council and shall adopt general and single acts in cases where he is authorised to do so in accordance with regulations,
- carry out and provide that the general act adopted by the City Council are implemented,
- propose to the City Council to adopt the budget, decisions on budget execution and semi-annual and annual reports on budget execution and shall be responsible for budgeting and budget execution,
- manage real estate and movables owned by the City of Rijeka in accordance with the law, the Statute and general acts of the City of Rijeka,
- decide on acquisition and alienation of the movables and real estate of the City of Rijeka which single value does not exceed the amount of HRK 1,000,000 (one million),
- direct the activities of the administrative bodies of the City of Rijeka in the performance of activities falling within their self-government scope and shall supervise the legality of their work,
- appoint and discharge the heads of the administrative bodies of the City of Rijeka,
- be responsible for the legality of work of the administrative bodies of the City of Rijeka,
- be responsible for establishing, developing and implementing the internal financial control system (financial management and control and internal audit) at the City of Rijeka.
- submit appropriate reports to the City Council,
- supervise the legality of the work of the local boards bodies,
- conclude contracts and other legal transactions in accordance with the law and other regulations,
- be responsible towards the central state administration bodies for carrying out activities pertaining to state administration which have been transferred to the scope of activities of the bodies of the City of Rijeka,
- perform other tasks falling under his competence by law, the Statute of the City of Rijeka, general acts of the City of Rijeka or other regulations.
The Mayor may take a decision whereby delegating the performance of certain tasks falling within his scope of activities to deputy mayors. The deputy mayors shall adhere to the mayor’s instructions while performing the delegated tasks.