Transport of disabled people and children with developmental disabilities
Various forms of free transport are available for disabled people in Rijeka, depending on the type or their disability level.
Public urban transport
- Utility company Autotrolej offers to disabled people public urban and suburban line transport free of charge. Guide dogs, trained to lead blind people are allowed to access public urban transport vehicles.
- People with mobility impairments and those who use wheelchairs use a specially adapted minibus for special line transport of disabled people. Transport is carried out in the territory of the city of Rijeka, with possibilities of transporting people to health institutions outside the area of the city of Rijeka. Transport is agreed by calling the following free phone number 0800-1166.
For Rijeka citizens, this service is free of charge, since all the costs are borne by the City of Rijeka.
Special transport organised by associations
The City of Rijeka has offered financial support to certain associations that gather or are oriented to the protection of disabled people for the acquisition of special minibuses for transporting their members:
- Association of the people with muscular dystrophy of the Primorje and Gorski Kotar County
- Association of the disabled youth and students of the Primorje and Gorski Kotar County “Znam”
- Association of people suffering from poliomyelitis and cerebral palsy Rijeka
- Association for the care of autistic people, Rijeka.
Pursuant to the invitation to tender for programmes and projects co-financing from the field of health care and social welfare, the City of Rijeka settles transport costs relating to:
- Transport of children with developmental disabilities, members of the Association of people suffering from poliomyelitis and cerebral palsy Rijeka – the City of Rijeka finances children’s daily transport to “Fortica” rehabilitation centre.
Beneficiaries are picked up at and returned to their homes, during transport one nurse is present in the vehicle in the event of a medical intervention. The minibus with a driver can be used on weekends in order to organise free time and visits to cultural and entertaining programmes.
- Transport of members of the Association of the people with muscular dystrophy of the Primorje Gorski Kotar County – the City of Rijeka co-finances the uses of an adapted minibus for various needs, from medical visits to arrivals to activities organised by the association.
- Transport of students and young disabled people of the Association of the disabled youth and students of the Primorje – Gorski Kotar County “ZNAM” – Association “Znam” enables young disabled people and students daily use of a vehicle, first of all, to arrive at faculties, and also to attend training courses, socialise, go to the beach, cultural and social programmes etc.
Since 2010 the City of Rijeka has been co-financing 50% of driving test costs of people aged up to 35 years that use wheelchairs and of mobility-impaired people.
Transport to kindergartens
Entity “Dječji vrtić Rijeka” has a minibus which takes children with developmental disorders, accompanied by a care assistant, from their homes to kindergarten facilities and vice versa.
Transport to elementary schools
- Transport of pupils with disabilities is organised by elementary schools “Gornja Vežica” and “Kantrida” and the Education Centre. Costs that include financial resources for school bus drivers and followers, while regular vehicle costs are settled from the state budget. Some pupils who attend the Education Centre use public urban transport.
Other institutions and associations also provide various transport services to children with developmental disabilities and disabled people, in the territory of the city of Rijeka.