The fee for water regulation ranges from HRK 0.10 to 1.05 per sq. m.
The fee for water regulation is an obligation based on the Act on Water Management Financing (Official Gazette No 153/09, 90/11, 56/13, 154/14, 119/15), the Ordinance on the fee rates for water regulation (OG 82/2010, 108/2013) and the Regulation on the calculation and collection of the fee for water regulation (OG 83/2010, 126/2013), which is calculated and payable at national level.
Responsibility for managing water and public water resources, as well we protective and hydro ameliorative water structures in the Republic of Croatia has been entrusted to Hrvatske vode (legal entity for water management). The entity “Hrvatske vode” is a public institution founded by the Republic of Croatia. Within this institution, the city of Rijeka belongs to the Department of Water Management for the Northern Adriatic catchments, in the territory of the small catchment “Kvarner Littoral and islands”.
People liable to paying the fee for water regulation are owners or users of plots of land and other real property in a certain water catchment area, namely the fee for water regulation is payable also by all payers of utility rates. The fee for water regulation for land and other real property is calculated and paid per area unit (sq.m.).
Funds collected on behalf of the fee for water regulation are intended to:
- finance local water management,
- maintain watercourses, regulation and protective water structures in a regular, technical and economical manner,
- protect from harmful activity of water,
- finance the maintenance of the amelioration system.
The fee for water regulation shall not be paid in the following events:
- The fee for water regulation shall not be paid for a constructed building plot of land outside of the layout area of the building which accommodates the premises referred to in tariff classes from 1 to 6.
- The fee for water regulation shall not be paid by payers whose total fee rate does not exceed HRK 40 annually. (Article 4 of the Regulation on fee rates for water regulation)
- The fee for water regulation shall not be calculated for a property that the payer cannot use because of mining and for such property a final decree has been brought in whereby banning its use or a final decree about its demolition, for the period in which the property cannot be used. (Article 5 of the Regulation on fee rates for water regulation)
The fee is calculated at the City of Rijeka, Utility Services Department, and is payable through a joint bill for housing costs, through the company RI stan.