The utility contribution ranges: from 16.59 to 117.55 HRK per cubic metre
The utility contribution is a revenue of the City Budget, used exclusively in order to finance the construction and maintenance of utility infrastructure.
Pursuant to the Decision on the Utility Contribution (Official Gazette of the City of Rijeka No. 4/19), established in accordance with the Utilities Act (“Official Gazette No. 68/18 and 110/18) the payer of the utility contribution is the owner of the building plot on which a building is situated, is being constructed or reconstructed, namely the investor.
In accordance with the Ordinance on the method for the establishment of the building’s volume in order to calculate the utility contribution (“Official Gazette” 15/19), the utility contribution is calculated by multiplying the volume of the building that is being constructed (reconstructed) or is constructed expressed in cubic metres with the unit value of community contribution for the zone in which the building is being constructed (reconstructed) or is constructed. In the case of a building that is removed in order to construct a new building or where an annex is built to an existing building, the utility contribution is calculated as the difference between volumes, with regard to the previous building.
The unit value of the utility contribution is determined subject to the zone where the building plot is located, The unit value of the community contribution is determined by multiplying the zone coefficient (Z) in the city where the plot is located, that is prescribed by a city decision and the amount of 10% of the value of average construction costs of a cubic metre of a building in the Republic of Croatia, published by the minister competent for construction. A table with price units of the utility contribution per cubic metre and a chart showing zones for the calculation of the utility contribution are hereto attached.
The utility contribution is payable as one-off payment. Payment by instalments can be approved, following a written request presented by the payer.
The following categories are exempt form utility contribution payment:
- Croatian disabled Homeland War veterans from the 1st to the 10th groups of body injuries and family members of deceased Croatian defenders during the Homeland War, are defined in accordance with the act that regulates the rights of Croatian defenders during the Homeland War and their family members when building a suitable flat in order to resolve their housing needs.
- Legal entities or natural persons, when building suitable flats through ministries within which scope building and urban planning fall,
- Croatian disabled Homeland War veterans, when building, building annexes to business premises of a total volume of 1,800 cubic metres, in order to carry out independently an economic activity.
Within the meaning of this article, a suitable flat shall be a flat determined by the act that regulates the rights of Croatian defenders in the Homeland War and their family members.
When submitting a request for an exemption from paying the utility contribution, the payer of the utility contribution shall submit appropriate documentation to the Utility Services Department, whereby attesting that that he/she meets the previously mentioned requirements.
Croatian disabled Homeland War veterans and family members of a deceased Croatian defender who build a flat bigger than the suitable one, pay the utility contribution as the difference in volumes between the flat that they build and the suitable flat.
Croatian disabled Homeland War veterans and family members of a deceased Croatian defender who possess a flat which is not suitable, and they build a suitable or a flat larger than the suitable one, pay the utility contribution as the difference in volumes between the suitable flat and the flat that they build, increased by the volume of the flat that they possess.
Documentation required for exemption from paying the utility contribution:
- A request for exemption from paying the utility contribution
- A copy of the membership card of the disabled Homeland War veteran / Decree whereby permanently recognising the status of a Croatian disabled Homeland War veteran (a second instance decree on the level of physical disability (for Croatian disabled veterans),
- In the event of a family member of a deceased defender: for a perished, deceased, imprisoned or missing Croatian defender and for Croatian disabled Homeland War veterans – proof about the circumstances in which death occurred, the death certificate for perished Croatian defenders and the certificate of inheritance after the death of Croatian defenders,
- A certificate about the number of household members (copies of birth certificates for all family members of the applicant ‘s household, a copy of the marriage certificate or a verified statement about the existence of a cohabitation, signed by the applicant and his/her common-law spouse.
- The certificate of residence or temporary residence of the applicant and all family members of his household.
- documentation or a verified statement whereby attesting that the building was built for the needs of one’s own housing accommodation.
- Documentation or a verified statement whereby proving that the payer and his family members who live in the mentioned building (will live in a newly projected building), do not possess a suitable flat or a house in the territory of the Republic of Croatia or
- An abstract of title for the property items owned by the payer or family members of his household from which the surface of an unsuitable flat is evident, if such flat exists. (A certificate issued by the municipal court, Land-Registry Department competent according to the applicant’s residence and the residence of the family members of his household, proving that the applicant and the family members of his household has not/have not been registered as owners or co-owners of a house or a flat since 5 August1990.