The local board councils act independently when choosing and proposing programme activities whereby solving municipal problems, and also realising the citizens’ needs in the field of health and social welfare, culture, recreational and sports activities, ecological initiatives, childcare, taking care of the environment, gardening etc.
Program activities include:
- Determining the condition of municipal disorders and damages to municipal devices and infrastructure and launching initiatives, improving living conditions, initiatives aimed at solving illegal landfills, cleaning attics and cellars from flammable things, monitoring the realisation of the annual maintenance programme of municipal facilities and devices, etc. The local board councils and their working bodies are responsible for planning and implementation
- The citizens’ needs, tasks and activities of the local board councils in the field of health and social welfare include: free blood pressure and glycaemia measurement, various health education conferences, etc., support to associations that deal with disease prevention and recreation. The activities are promoted in cooperation with the Red Cross Association of the City of Rijeka, and are funded from the budget headings of the Department of Health and Social Welfare. The local board councils, sub-boards for health and social welfare, doctors, nurses and other health professionals are responsible for implementation
- The programme aimed at meeting the needs in the field of culture and entertainment – organising exhibitions of authors residing in the territory of the local board, organising cultural and entertaining evenings, poetry evenings, promotion of the Chakavian dialect, film evenings, cultural events, concerts, etc. The local board councils, sub-boards for culture within the local board are responsible for planning and implementation
- The citizens’ needs, tasks and activities of the council relating to sustainable development include initiatives for the selection of the most beautiful garden, balcony and window in the territory of the local board, implementing programmes aimed at encouraging the development of ecological gardens, various conferences, etc. The local board councils and their working bodies are responsible for planning and implementation
- Sports recreation for citizens includes programme activities of councils that meet the citizens’ needs in the field of sport and technical culture – organising various sports tournaments with particular attention to amateur and recreational activities. The local board councils and sub-boards for sports, sports clubs and associations operating in the territory of the local board are responsible for planning and implementation
- The citizens’ needs, tasks and activities of councils in the field of childcare and education – organising child playrooms and creative workshops for preschool children who do not attend kindergartens, sports competitions, ecological workshops, programmes and gifts on the occasion of St. Nicholas or Santa Claus, organising various events for children, etc. The local board councils, sub-boards for childcare, elementary schools and kindergartensoperating in the territory of the local board and associations are responsible for implementation and planning
- The citizens’ needs, tasks and activities of the council in the field of ecology – cleaning of illegal landfills, organising environmental actions, direct participation of citizens in taking care of the environment, organising exhibitions and conferences on the occasion of anniversaries tied to the environment and sustainable development etc. The local board councils, sub-boards for ecology, utility company “Čistoća” and the Utility Services Department are responsible for planning and implementation.
The other activities of the council include activities aimed at establishing cooperation with associations, the business sector and institutions in the territory of the local board, organising assemblies of citizens, enriching the websites of the local boards with additional contents, animating citizens to include themselves in the implementation of programmes, creation and distribution of leaflets or brochures of local boards, public opinion polling to determine priorities to be resolved in the next period, etc.