Various health and social welfare institutions operate in Rijeka, founded by the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, the Primorje – Gorski Kotar County or the City of Rijeka. These institutions systematically take care of children and adults with special needs and disabilities.
- Social Welfare Centre Rijeka – within which operates the Department for the protection of people with physical or mental disabilities
- Rehabilitation Centre Rijeka – centre for people with special needs
- Rehabilitation Centre Fortica Kraljevica – rehabilitation of people with the most severe handicaps
- Daily Rehabilitation Centre Slava Raškaj Rijeka – rehabilitation of children with speech disorders
- Professional Rehabilitation Centre Rijeka – professional rehabilitation of people with disabilities aimed at their easier employment.