Health services for people with disabilities
The health care programme of the City of Rijeka is aimed at preventing and controlling disabilities among citizens. In accordance with estimates made by the World Health Organisation, people with disabilities make up about 10% of the world population. Due to their specific needs in Rijeka, there are various health services dedicated to people with disabilities aimed both at preventing further health damages and maintaining the highest possible quality level of their lives.
Here below is a list with descriptions of various health services available for children with special needs and adults with disabilities.
- Continuous supervision of children and young people with cerebral palsy and other forms of physical disabilities – Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Office, Mile Batinić, M.D.
- Hydro-kinesiotherapy for children with developmental disorders and disabled – Swimming club Forca
- Therapeutic swimming – Association “Sunce”
- Therapeutic riding – Association “Pegaz”
Various social services that are available in Rijeka for people with disabilities and children with special needs include rehabilitation, i.e. psychosocial support and early interventions whereby encouraging the development of cognitive, functional, communication or social skills.
You will find here some of the social services dedicated to people with disabilities. You can get additional information if you directly contact individual associations that are devoted to children with special needs or disabled adults.
- Extra institutional workshop for disabled children and youth – Association of people suffering from poliomyelitis and cerebral palsy
- Workshop “Stvara(j)mo zajedno/Let us create together” for children with developmental disorders – Society for psychotherapy cybernetics
- Creative workshops for people with multiple sclerosis – Multiple sclerosis society
- Comprehensive care of disabled in the community – Association for assistance to people with mental retardation (Srce/Hearth club)
- Parent Support Groups and workshops for children with Down syndrome – Association for Down syndrome – Rijeka 21
- Workshop Moj posebni prijatelj/My special friend – Early Intervention Centre OKOlonaOKOlo
- Musical stimulation for children suffering from hearing and speech impairments – Daily rehabilitation centre Slava Raškaj
- Early work-therapy and physiotherapeutic interventions through the general practice service in Rijeka – Rehabilitation Centre Fortica Kraljevica
- Festival of Creativity and Achievments made by people with disabilities (i-Fest)
- Providing transport services to people with disabilities and children with special needs – the City of Rijeka and various associations
- Development Counselling Centre “Korak naprijed/A step forward” – encouraging children with special needs – Early Intervention Centre OKOlonaOKOlo
- Education of parents having children with developmental disturbances and disabled children – association Dira