Support is provided to entrepreneurs through grants, support institutions and entrepreneurship infrastructure.
In 2008, the City of Rijeka adopted the General Programme of measures aimed at incentivising entrepreneurship in the territory of the city of Rijeka which includes 24 measures. Among them, 14 measures relate to direct subsidies to entrepreneurs in a form of assigned grants, and a possibility to benefit from the City’s business premises under favourable conditions, through business and Start up incubators.
The grants that are allocated to entrepreneurs make the largest segment of the mentioned Programme that has been structured through 12 measures, owing to which it is possible to realise subsidised costs of :
- products and process certification, preparation of marketing plans and/or market research,
- merger of economic operators,
- introduction of the support system and applications on the occasion of decision-making, management and e-business,
- implementation of industrial and graphic design,
- acquisition and installation of machinery and equipment,
- launching of an economic activity of a business starter,
- writing up project proposals for co-financing under EU funds,
- financing of interest on loans intended for entrepreneurs,
- commercialisation of innovative products or services,
- projects in the field of energy efficiency and
- costs of education, professional training and training courses for employees.
In the light of the situation in the labour market, subsidies intended for business starters represent a particularly interesting subsidy measure, because it means a simpler step forward to the market and a form of self employment and new employability.
The grant system (small value subsidies) is implemented through the allocation of subsidies in an amount ranging from 50% to 80% of the realised costs, which entrepreneurs may realise through an invitation to tender. The maximum amount of subsidies ranges from HRK 15,000.00 to 100,000.00.
The City of Rijeka is among the first cities in Croatia that has recognised the importance of assistance to entrepreneurs in the initial phase of the realisation of business ideas and ventures. Two business incubators have been set up that offer to Rijeka entrepreneurs favourable conditions when leasing business premises. On behalf of the City, the business incubator is managed by “Porin”, Rijeka Development Agency.
Towards the end of 2012, the project of “The Start-up Incubator for Young” was launched, dedicated to students and young people or teams aged up to 29 years who, in addition to free mentorship and advisory assistance, were also provided with a possibility to develop their own business ideas.