Priorities and measures of the third strategic goal
- Integrated urban planning
- Candidature for the European capital of culture
- Construction of city infrastructure
Protection and improvement of the quality of life and citizen health
- Creation of conditions for an independent life of young people
- Health protection and improvement (educational and health programmes, sport, recreation)
- Modern social policy
- Creation of conditions for independent work of young people
+Strengthening the administrative capacities of the City of Rijeka
- Strengthening of human resources and knowledge
- Regional and European cooperation
Projects within the third strategic goal
- By constructing Pehlin, Rastočine and Krnjevo kindergartens and by providing facilities for a kindergarten within Campus that may be used also as practice premises for the study of preschool education, capacities of the institution “Dječji vrtić Rijeka” will increase.
- The introduction of healthy meals in the elementary schools in Rijeka will contribute to the development of a healthy life style and will prevent problems tied to nutrition.
- By introducing the educational programme Moja Rijeka in all elementary schools in Rijeka pupils will become more familiar with its history and cultural identity, and by introducing a programme in elementary schools that will promote non-violence, tolerance and solidarity, basic human values will be promoted.
- Further scholarships awarded to secondary school and university students, on the basis of a criterion of excellence, will encourage success, by introducing scholarships on the basis of a social criterion a possibility for socially disadvantaged young and ambitious people to progress will additionally enhance, while further co-financing the lifelong learning programme will enable citizens to gain knowledge and skills at the post education leaving age.
- Further residential construction within the Subsidised Housing Programme in the zones of Martinkovac and Hostov breg will help resolve housing problems of many families in Rijeka.
- By further improving the Social programme social exclusion of the most disadvantaged citizen groups will decrease.
- By following deinstitutionalisation of social welfare centres and devoting more care to children with special needs models will be found for drawing funds under EU programmes.
- By setting up clubs for older people and pensioners, by encouraging the widening of accommodation capacities for older and disabled people (private and public sector) the quality of the third agers’ life who live in Rijeka will improve.
- The co-financing of preventive and educational health programmes and the sports clinic will contribute to better mental and physical health of children and young people.
- By creating conditions for relocating the Civic Library and the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art and the Rijeka Civic Museum ( Benčić complex) problems concerning premises that these institutions encounter will be solved and the quality of their work will improve.
- Owing to its continuous work on the candidature of Rijeka for the European Capital of Culture, the city’s cultural identity will be defined for a long term.
- By developing a new model of cooperation in which the independent cultural sector and the newly established Student Cultural Centre manage the premises of Palach, Filodrammatica and Marganovo, these premises will be better used, providing a better visibility of cultural programmes and inclusion of student population in the city’s cultural life.
- By further investing in the work and programmes of national minorities, the value of multiculturalism as an important part of the identity of Rijeka will be promoted.
- By financing the activities of younger age groups practicing at sports clubs, foundations will be laid down for Rijeka sports success and youth inclusion in sports activities will be encouraged.
- By reconstructing the sports hall Dinko Lukarić, though EU-funding, facilities for actively practicing sports and recreation will be in place.
- By further investing in manifestations of cultural, sport and technical culture, recognised outside city boundaries and that represent part of the city’s identity, the attractiveness of Rijeka as a destination will increase, while by making availabe cultural and sports contents to a large number of citizens, social inclusion will be promoted.
- By following the construction of the hotel within the Benčić complex and the tourist resort Kostabela, by constructing necessary utility infrastructure, the City will actively take part in the realisation of these projects.
- By reconstructing the squares: Trg pul Vele Crikv, Koblerobv trg and Pavlinski trg and in co-operation with the Port of Rijeka Authority, by reconstructing the launching ramp of Torpedo, the attractiveness of these specific locations will enhance.
- By reconstructing the path along the Rječina river from Hartera to Orehovica and further reconstruction of paths along the coast from Kantrida to Preluk new facilities will be offered for recreation and for spending free time in a pleasant manner.
- By more intensively designing new green areas and parks for children the city will respond to the lack of such facilities in various city quarters.
- By implementing education campaigns in kindergartens, schools, and among citizens concerning primary waste selection and by increasing the number of eco islands and containers for separate waste collection the city will encourage responsible behaviour towards the environment and in the long run it will increase the quality of life.
- The construction of an energy plant for the production of electricity from biogas from the rehabilitated Viševac landfill will increase the city’s energy efficiency.
- By completing the construction of the central county zone for waste management Marišćina with a system for mechanical and biological processing the project that relates to the integral waste management system will be realised.
- By constructing new 135 km of sewers, while simultaneously placing gas pipes in the territory of Rijeka and neighbouring communes, under EU funding programmes, the standard of utility infrastructure equipment will raise.
- Owing to further co-financing of the night bus service of Autotrolej citizens and in particular young people will have more freedom and better traffic security.
- By providing further implementation of the Local Partnership Programme of Rijeka with the aim of encouraging the value of volunteering and communion, the feeling of belonging to the community will be encouraged.
- By further implementing the City’s transparent policy, in communication with citizens, a public model of dialogue will be introduced whereby enabling maximum quality in decision-making processes and when implementing projects important for the whole city.
- By insisting on further implementation of decentralisation the role of Rijeka and all other local self – government units will be strengthened.