Housing and construction
The City of Rijeka offers various housing solutions to the defenders and victims of the Homland War. In accordance with the prescribed requirements, special for each assistance category, defenders, members of their families and war victims can obtain the right to:
- exemption from utility contribution payment
- exemption from utility rates payment
- additional points when being added to the Priority List for taking an apartment on lease
- additional points when being added to the Priority List for the purchase of an apartment built under the subsidised housing programme
- purchase of apartments owned by the City of Rijeka and given on lease to Croatian military war invalids and family members of a deceased, interned or missing Croatian defender
- in order to meet the housing needs of Croatian Homeland War defenders and their family members, in accordance with the law governing the rights of Croatian Homeland War defenders and their family members, the City will cede a building plot free of charge.
Lease of business premises
Defenders can exercise the right of priority when taking part in a tender for a lease of business premises and shelters in accordance with the Law governing the rights of Croatian Homeland War defenders and their family members.
Advantages on the occasion of employment
In accordance with the Law governing the rights of Croatian Homeland War defenders and their family members, defenders and members of their families have advantage when seeking a job at the City of Rijeka.
- Right to a monthly ticket free of charge on the lines within the area where the public transport service is carried out by the utility company Autotrolej
- Right to the privileged parking ticket (for Croatian military invalids of the Homeland War) further information is available on the website of Rijeka plus.
The activities of the research service of the Red Cross are mainly focused on finding the persons who went missing during the Homeland War, and they also include research related to armed conflicts in the world, including World War II issues (checks and issuance of attestations concerning the time spent as prisoners of war or internees).