297,000 sq.m. of useful sports areas, out of which 23,000 sq.m. (7.6%) of indoor facilities, have been registered in the territory of the former commune of Rijeka. After having formed new suburban communes, in the territory of the city of Rijeka (128,735 inhabitants) 187,000 sq.m. of sports areas remained.
Pursuant to the Sports Law, the sports and technical culture facilities owned by the City of Rijeka are managed by the company “Rijeka Sport” and the Department of sports and technical culture.
In 2007, the management of the most important and biggest facilities was transferred to the newly set up company Rijeka sport which is 100% owned by the City of Rijeka.
Company “Rijeka sport” manages the following facilities:
- Kantrida Sportshall
- Kantrida swimming pools
- Podvežica bocce ball court
- Zamet Sports Centre
- “Dinko Lukarić” sportshall
- Youth Hall
- Kantrida stadium
- “Krimeja” football field
- “Robert Komen” football field
- Campus outdoor field
- Belveder sport and recreation centre
- Mlaka sport and recreation centre
- “3. maj” sport and recreation centre
- Martial arts sports hall Sušak
The funds intended to manage and maintain facilities are partly provided by the company “Rijeka sport” through its own activity, while the remaining necessary funds are provided in the Budget of the City of Rijeka. In addition to the management and maintenance of the existing facilities, the company “Rijeka sport” carries out also the activities that relate to the construction of new sport and technical culture facilities, in accordance with the plans and decisions of its founder. Detailed information on the facilities managed by the company Rijeka sport and their adaptation to disabled people is available on the website of Rijeka sport.
The remaining sport and technical culture facilities owned by the City of Rijeka are managed by users in accordance with the signed contracts. As a rule, such facilities relate to one beneficiary, therefore the Department of sports and technical culture every year signs rental agreements with beneficiaries whereby determining the obligations of the beneficiary concerning the use and maintenance of the facilities and the obligations of the Department of sports and technical culture as regards the co-financing of the facilities’ operating costs. Co-financing funds are provided in the Budget and financial plans of the Department of sports and technical culture.
They relates to the following facilities/premises:
- “Brajda” Bocce ball court
- Premises of the “Rijeka” boxing club
- “Brajda” gym
- Gym of the “Kvarner” table tennis club
- Premises of the“Sušak” Kick boxing club
- Premises of the “Draga” bocce club
- Premises of the “Grbci” bocce club
- Premises of the Rijeka Ski Club
- Premises of the Kvarner 2001 Ski Club
- Premises of the Rijeka Sports Federation
- Retreat 71 (ŠPK Ri Rock Climbing)
- Sušak Sports and Recreation Centre
- Zamet Sports and Recreation Centre
- “Papirničar” firing range
- “Vladimir Gortan” firing range (Drenova)
- Chess club
- “Kozala” tennis court
- “Marčeljeva Draga” tennis centre
- “Pećine” tennis centre
- Delta rowing club
A sports surgery clinic operates within the Youth Hall.