Social inclusion of older people in community life is an indicator of the development level of society and it also strongly influences the mental health of older people, therefore the City of Rijeka endeavours to protect and encourage it.
With that aim, a number of programmes and projects have been developed, dedicated to older people.
- Specialised website dedicated to third agers “Penzići Rijeka“
- Free public transport for socially disadvantaged people aged 65 and over, tickets at a very advantageous price for people aged 65 and over in accordance with the means test, as well as tickets at more favourable prices for beneficiaries of age pension, family pension or disability support pension, and persons aged 60 and over, if unemployed
- Pensioners clubs – Pensioners Association of the city of Rijeka and Kantrida nursing home
- University for the third age – University of Rijeka
- Various programmes of the Pensioners Association of Rijeka
- Free basic IT courses
- Programme of the Centre of Technical Culture Rijeka – Let us familiarise ourselves with our city so that we may love it even more
- The Rijeka City Library in its programme “Library at your doorstep” presents the delivery of books at home addresses, dedicated to disabled third agers, having residence in the territory of the city of Rijeka, who due to reduced mobility or mobility impairments cannot go to a library unaided.
- Older people gain various advantages in cultural institutions in Rijeka, while additional advantages are available for the members of the Pensioners Association of Rijeka