The term young people shall imply people having residence or a temporary residence in the territory of the city of Rijeka who at the moment they are submitting their candidature for membership in the Youth Council are aged between 15 and 30 years and, as such, have the right to be chosen as a member or a deputy member of the Youth Council. The Youth Council counts 11 members, including the president and his deputy. Youth Council members and their deputies are elected for a period of three years. The term of office of a Youth Council deputy member is tied to the term of office of the Youth Council member.
Within its scope of activity, the Youth Council shall:
- discuss issues of relevance for Youth Council activities and issues falling within the scope of activity of the City Council that young people are interested in,
- initiate at City Council sessions, in cooperation with the president of the City Council, taking decision of relevance for young people, adopting programmes and other acts of relevance to improve the position of young people in the territory of the city of Rijeka, discussion on single issues of relevance to improve the position of young people in the territory of the city of Rijeka and the manner in which the mentioned issues should be solved,
- take part, through its representatives, in the activity of the City Council on the occasion of decision-making, adopting measure, programmes and other acts of particular importance to improve the position of young people in the territory of the city of Rijeka,
- take part in the preparation, implementation and monitoring of youth local programme implementation, it shall give statements in writing and proposals to competent authorities on the needs and problems of young people, and, where necessary, it shall propose the adoption of a programme intended to remove the problems that have arisen and improve the position of young people,
- encourage information available for young people on all issues important to improve their position, international cooperation of youth councils in the Republic of Croatia and cooperation and exchange of experience with civil society organisations and appropriate authorities in other countries,
- propose and submit for approval to the City Council the Youth Council activity programme,
- invite, where necessary, representatives of the bodies of the City of Rijeka to attend Youth Council meetings,
- encourage the development of the financial framework for youth policy implementation and provide support to the development of youth organisations and those intended for youth, and shall take part in programming priorities relating to tendering and determining criteria for financing youth organisations and those intended for youth,
- perform other advisory activities in the interest of young people.
The members and deputy members of the Youth Council for a period of three years were elected by the City Council at the session held on 30 May 2019.
- The Activity Programme of the Youth Council of the City of Rijeka for 2015 (adopted at the 16th session of the Rijeka City Council held on 9 April 2015)
- The Activity Programme of the Youth Council of the City of Rijeka for 2014 (adopted at the 9th session of the Rijeka City Council held on 15 May 2014)
The constitutional session of the Youth Council was held on June 24, 2019.
Biagio Mazzone was elected as Youth Council president, while Toma Jelušić was elected as deputy president of the Youth Council.
Youth Council contacts:
Tel: 051 209 615
Administrative clerk responsible for preparing Council sessions:
Tel: +385 51 209 541
Fax: +385 51 209 537