The household waste recycling centre at the address Joža Vlahović in Rijeka
The project titled “The household waste recycling centre at the address Joža Vlahović in Rijeka” will help increase the rate of separately collected municipal waste and reduce the amount of waste that is disposed of in a landfill.
A functional waste recycling centre within the municipal waste management system is one of the important components aimed at ensuring separate collection, first of all of problematic (hazardous) waste and waste paper, metal, glass, plastic, textiles and bulky municipal waste. The recycling centre can also receive special categories of waste, such as accumulators and batteries, and packaging waste.
The main purpose of opening a future recycling centre at the address Joža Vlahović in Rijeka is as follows:
- encourage and increase the separation and collection of problematic household waste and its proper recovery or disposal, instead of a frequent practice of disposing such waste among mixed municipal waste or, to a lesser extent, in the environment;
- encourage and increase the separation and collection of electrical and electronic waste (common and the one containing hazardous substances), except for waste for which there are suitable services of its free removal from households (various devices of larger dimensions and weight); thus avoiding disposing of this waste in mixed municipal waste or leaving it next to the container for collecting mixed municipal waste, causing additional costs for its disposal at the expense of all citizens;
- encourage and increase the collection of bulky waste of smaller size and weight (including part of waste generated during minor construction interventions in households) instead of ending up among mixed municipal waste or disposing it next to containers for collecting mixed municipal waste causing additional costs for its disposal at the expense of all citizens;
- encourage and increase the collection of special waste categories, such as packaging that is not included in deposit-schemes (larger dimensions or heavier, unsuitable for collection in containers in a public area or at the doorstep), and plastic that is not packaging waste.
Duration: 13 December 2018 – 30 November 2019
Competent authority: Ministry of Environmental Protection and Energy, contract number: KK.06.3.1.03.0122
The project includes all activities related to the construction and equipment of the future waste recycling centre at the address Joža Vlahović in Rijeka, including the services of professional supervision of construction works, design supervision and the services provided by a coordinator for safety at work in the construction phase.
Also, the implementation of information and educational activities and activities of promotion and visibility form an integral part of the Project, aimed at informing the public about the use of the recycling yard and its role in the overall waste management system and proper waste separation.
It is expected that better information for citizens about separate municipal waste collection and informing households in a certain area about the location of the recycling centre and the possibility of disposing waste free of charge, will achieve the goal and that citizens will not dispose problematic waste, small amounts of bulky waste and other useful components in containers for mixed municipal waste or that they will not dispose of it improperly in the environment.
By realising this Project positive changes will be brought into the waste management system, both during the implementation period and after the termination of the Project implementation in the long run.
- Total project budget: HRK 1,105,510.61
- EU funding: HRK 781,180.00 (85% of eligible project costs)
European Structural and Investment Funds – Cohesion Fund – Operational Program “Competitiveness and Cohesion 2014-2020”